After a stressful week of knowing that we would struggle to get a full 15 to play on Saturday due to losing players who were coaching at the Eithad Cup, injuries picked up from our previous Saturday’s titanic game and a call up for Ben Hesketh from the Cougars we importantly decided to honour the game with 11 players. Fortunately Beaconsfield were on hand to lends us 4 of their players so a game was certain. We unfortunately lost one of them mid way through the 1st half due to an ear injury and were very grateful for an injured Dyll stepping up and slotting into the back row.
The Evergreen spirit that was shown in the game was immense and buoyed on by our massive performance against the Cougars the week before we took the game to Beaconsfield and it was only due to some silly handling errors and a few missed tackles from us that gave them their opportunities to score which they did on four occasions in the first half. Importantly we got something out of our 1st half efforts when we took a tap and go penalty 10 yrds from their line just before half time we had Brathers (the Bull) in hand to smash over there line for a well deserved try.
This really gave us a massive boost and we fronted up for the second half confident we could get something out of the game including the now three borrowed Beaconsfield players who were giving everything for Ealing on the park. We were again unlucky with some silly handling errors which gave them a few more tries but as a team we defiantly won the second half battle and, with a bit more luck on our side, we could have easily won the half but we had to wait till the final minute to score more or less a replica try from the first half with Dyll our try scoring champ this time. Paul H duly hit over the conversion which made the final score 36 12 which was somewhat flattering for our excellent hosts and for a game that was played with hugh determination from both sides but fairness. The spirit and determination that was shown on the day from each and every one of us is what makes playing for the Evergreens an honour, Thank you to one and all….
The Evergreens 12
• Paul Hoban – Brilliant tactical kicking all game
• Mark Rutherford – Try saving tackle and gave 100% as always
• Greg Holdsworth – Great game at number 10, a natural
• Brathers – The Bull… Great try and gave his all
• Fergus Molloy – Man of the Match performance from the New Boy
• BOF – Frustrated Skipper as always..
• Bill Miller (1) – Well stuck in mate, gave your all
• Stef M – Massive bulk busting performance
• Dyll Davies – Great try and made a huge difference when he came on
• Dec Mcgrath – Brilliant, great to have you back in the team
• Bill Miller (2) – Pulled a hamstring but kept going.. great spirit
• Mark Cannon – Great 1st game in the back row
• Steve Weekes – Thank you
• Paul Clarke – Thank you