There was a pleasant positive vibe in an Evergreen team that has recently played some tremendous rugby and with the SODAM game giving us the opportunity to play our very best of the season. Unfortunately we lost a couple of players on the Friday night, but where very grateful for Barry Cousins filling the spare spot in the front row.
From the off it was controlled precise rugby from us against a team that was somewhat in-experienced but a SODAM 15 that were easily half most of our ages. It was also refreshing for the backs again who were magnificent throwing the ball about and scored four out of our five tries. Special mention does have to go to Andy Cleary who actually did have to run more than 15 yards to score a brilliant try that came from a ferociously competitive string of play. John Ronane scored the best try of the day starting from a breakdown just before there 22 in which it went through every set of our backs hand to finally land with JR who side-stepped two on-coming SODAM players to score under the post. Tremendous!!!
At the end of last season the Evergreens decided to pull from an over competitive and sometimes not so friendly league that they were playing in and concentrate on playing clubs that had a similar vet’s outlook to social competitive rugby. Saturday proved that their decision was correct!! The spirit in the team was immense and missing some of their fellow players including Eddie B, Jim C, Bill Miller 1 &2, Ben H, Rahim, Nicola, Fergus, Declan M was a shame but there is enough momentum now to carry on for the game against Teddington at Imber Court on Friday the 16th and the remaining part of the season. I’d also like to welcome Andy Cambridge to the fold who was brilliant both for us and SODAM on Saturday, a very welcome addition to the team.
Evergreens Squad v SODAM
• Paul Hoban – He just gets better with age (Another great try not sure about the drop goal)
• Adrian Hobbs – Best game of the season so far
• Kean Marden – Good to have you back in the Evergreens, well played
• Mark Rutherford – Made a big impact in the second half
• Greg Holdsworth – Perfect Rugby all season
• Dave Steene – Great to have you back playing … Top class try
• Andy Cleary – That smile when you scored said it all.. Brilliant
• Andy Cambridge – Great game, welcome to the Evergreens
• David Brathwaite – Made a huge difference in the second half
• Dyll Davies – A natural at number 8
• Steve Price – Your right it’s not American football, great 1st half
• John Ronane – Try of season so far… Top Class
• Andy Lewis – Getting better every game he plays
• Steph M – Best game by far this season
• Barry Cousins – Thanks Barry as always you were a massive help
• Mark Cannon – MAN OF THE MATCH… Just got stuck in and never gave up… Purely Brilliant
• BOF – Frustrated Skipper as always
• Steve Weekes – Thank you