REPORT: Blaydon 35 v 34 Ealing Trailfinders 1st XV

Ealing Trailfinders 1st XV suffered their second defeat of the season as they narrowly lost a nail-biting contest to Blaydon. Ealing Trailfinders 1st XV fought back valiantly in the second half but were unable to stop the Newcastle outfit from completing the second victory in two seasons at Crow Trees.


Ealing Trailfinders looked to rectify the previous weeks defeat by beginning the game with pace and power as their runners were getting over the gain-line with ease. Owen Bruynseels crashed over early in the game for a converted try as the visiting side made an encouraging start to the battle of the early season National 1 front-runners. The home side immediately struck back as a quick tap caught Ealing Trailfinders off-guard before the ball was swiftly recycled to Gavin Jones to touch down in the corner with fly-half Andrew Baggett slotting the difficult conversion. Blaydon continued to mount pressure on the visiting side and they enhanced their lead thanks to a converted try by Charles Inceldon. The manner of the score will frustrate the West London outfit as Ealing Trailfinders tackling left a lot to be desired as Blaydon cruised through the midfield from first phase possession. Ealing Trailfinders responded in the best way possible by producing a carbon-copy of the try they conceded just minutes earlier. A simple move from the scrum saw Sam Wardingley burst through the defence and into space before passing to Peter Hodgkinson who raced to the line to score. Thomas Wheatcroft’s conversion levelled the scores at 14 apiece. Having worked tirelessly to level the game up, Ealing Trailfinders will be with be furious that another defensive error allowed Nathan Bailey to score his side’s third try of the game with only 19 minutes played. A Wheatcroft penalty reduced the deficit to 21-17 as the visitors seemed determined to retake the lead as the game progressed. Ealing Trailfinders looked to be gaining momentum in the Balydon half, before disaster struck. The home side forced a turn-over and kicked the ball downfield into acres of space. A fortunate bounce saw the ball fall into the hands of Bagget who passed to Frazer Wilson to sprint in from the half way line. Blaydon went into half-time having secured the bonus point and leading 28-17.

Ealing Trailfinders 1st XV got off to the worst possible start to a second half they needed to win convincingly to have any chance of clinching the victory. Having successfully defended a set of phases, Blaydon’s second row Dave Hamilton burst through to score. Bagget’s successful conversion took the score to a daunting 35-17 as the visitors had the biggest of mountains to climb to stand any chance. Ealing Trailfinders showed tremendous character to launch a determined comeback in a scintillating finale of rugby. Hodgkinson got the ball rolling as his second try of the game was converted by Wheatcroft, before the fly-half nailed a penalty to take the score to 35-27 with less than 20 minutes remaining. Replacement second row Gavin Curry then brushed aside two Blaydon tacklers on his way to the try line, as the converted score took Ealing Trailfinders to within a point at 35-34. Ealing Trailfinders bombarded the Blaydon try-line, as they camped in the hosts 22 for the remaining 10 minutes of the game. The Ealing Trailfinders comeback fell just short as they were unable to penetrate their line when it mattered most.

This Saturday, 17th November, Ealing Trailfinders 1st XV return to Vallis Way where they will face The Sedgley Park Tigers. To find out more about this game and the fantastic family offer click here