REPORT: Ealing Trailfinders 12 – 22 Moseley

Ealing Trailfinders narrowly missed out on a losing bonus point after Moseley scored a fourth try with the last play of the match.

Ealing appeared set to return back down the M40 with a losing bonus point after tries from Phil Chesters and Ronnie McLean and a Ben Ward conversion, but Moseley’s forwards built up a head of steam from a late lineout and hooker Rhys Buckley was driven over.

Kick-off had been delayed 15 minutes after thunder and lightning descended on Billesley Common and left the pitch drenched.

Morgan Thompson gave an early indication of what the day would be like as he put an early tackle in on Moseley fly-half Will Hooley and both players slid off the pitch.

Moseley went on the attack early and twice they tried to roll a maul off a line-out but both times Ealing’s defence held out and when the ball did come out Moseley number 8 Buster Lawrence knocked on with the line at his mercy.

Ealing’s first attack came 10 minutes in when Steve Pape took a good lineout take and set up Ed Siggery and Conor Carey to attack the hosts. Moments later though it was Moseley who profited from the slippery conditions as the ball went to ground.

The visitors were forced into an early change when wing Owen Bruynseels went down with an injury and was replaced by Sam Wardingley and soon after the hosts took the lead.

Their scrum-half Sam Brown attacked off the back of the scrum and while he was caught by Sean O’Connell, Hooley kicked to the corner and Simon Hunt raced through to touch down and open the lead.

They doubled their lead when they eventually managed to drive a player over from a maul with Matt Williams the scorer. Ealing’s forwards immediately took the game to their opponents though and from their platform Chesters slid into the corner to score after Ben Ward had nudged a kick into the corner.

Moseley wing Williams added his second soon after halftime, but after Moseley captain Mike Powell was sent to the sin-bin, Ealing’s forwards gained the upper hand and McLean was first to the ball after Ward’s chip was deflected and played havoc in the Moseley defence.

As the clock ticked down neither team was able to find a way through; that was until Moseley made their last opportunity count in emphatic fashion.

Ealing Trailfinders
Andrew Henderson, Owen Bruynseels, Ronnie McLean, Tom Bedford, Phil Chesters, Ben Ward, Morgan Thompson; Ryan Storer, Andrei Radoi, Conor Carey, Steve Pape, Adam Preocanin (captain), Matt Evans, Ed Siggery, Sean O’Connell
Reserves: Sam Wilkes, Steve Neville, Richard Palframan, Dan Collier, TJ Anderson, Stuart Commins, Sam Wardingley
Tony Carter, Simon Hunt, Scott Armstrong, Greg King, Matt Williams, Will Hooley, Sam Brown; Tom Warren, Rhys Buckley, Ben Evans, Greg Charlton, Mike Powell (captain), Neil Mason, Ollie Robinson, Buster Lawrence
Reserves – Craig Voisey, Will Evans, Stefan Thorp, Chris Brightwell, Ryan Glynn, Will Owen, Ollie Thomas

Referee – Tom Foley