REPORT: Ealing Trailfinders 1st XV 56 – 24 Tynedale

Ealing Trailfinders Rugby Club cemented their position at the top of the National League 1 table with a convincing 56-24 victory against Tynedale at Vallis Way. Ealing Trailfinders perfect start to the season continued as they scored 56 points for the second time in a week. The warm sunny conditions proved to be a perfect platform for the home side to showcase their attacking skills.

Tynedale began the game with real purpose as they pinned Ealing Trailfinders in their own half for the opening exchanges. Withstanding the early pressure, Ealing Trailfindrers responded as Phil Chesters scored a quick-fire double to give the hosts a 10- 0 lead after 15 minutes played in the game. Tynedale proved to be no push-overs as they reduced the arrears just minutes after conceding. Defensive indecision from the Ealing Trailfinders side enabled centre Peter Weightman to crash over and score with fly-half George Cullen adding the conversion. The Ealing Trailfinders pack drove powerfully through the middle creating space for the wider backs to exploit weak Tynedale defending as Chesters completed his first hat-trick of the season. Tom Wheatcroft’s successful conversion extended Ealing Trailfinders lead to 17 -7. Cullen and Wheatcroft exchanged penalties respectively before tight-head prop Alex Westgarth crashed over to reduce the deficit to just 20-17 with 8 minutes remaining in the half. On the stroke of half-time, a surging Ealing Trailfinders scrum resulted in winger Sam Wardingley breaking through a half-gap before off-loading to replacement Owen Bruynseels to score his side’s bonus-point try. Wheatcroft’s conversion gave the home side a deserved 27-17 lead at the interval.

Ealing Trailfinders ruthless ability to finish off teams in the second half was again impressively evident here against a tiring Tynedale unit. No.8 Sam Shires managed to sneak over from close range to score against his former club just minutes into the half. The forwards continued the scoring theme as Anders Nilsson and Tim Brockett went over in quick succession to all but seal the victory for the home side with a quarter of the game remaining. Man of the match Ronald Mclean-Dents continued his good recent form as he scored the try of the game. From first phase possession deep in his half, Mclean-Dents gathered a pass from Wheatcroft before shrugging off several Tynedale defenders and sprinting the length of the field to score a scintillating solo try. The conversion by Wheatcroft bought up the 50-points mark once again for the West London outfit. Tynedale attempted to a launch a fight back when No.8 Oliver Steadman scored a converted try but Bruynseels second try of the game sealed a comprehensive victory for the Ealing Trailfinders.

Ealing Trailfinders make the short journey to Richmond next weekend in what will be a fantastic derby encounter before returning home on the 6th October to face the 2011/12 seasons fourth place Fylde.

To find out more about this fixture click here